Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The new normal...


I decided to let my (new) life settle and the holidays come and go before posting again. So, here goes...

It's January 7, a Wednesday, I would normally be 2 days into the second semester of school and I would no doubt be in bed, if not already asleep, preparing for work tomorrow. Instead, I sit, rocking my newborn to sleep. I say sleep, it's more of a very short cat nap before she eats again. And let's be honest, bedtime doesn't begin until the 11:00ish meal. :) 

As I sit here, rocking Mollie, having just finished the book "On the night you were born," ( it's her favorite... "Goodnight Moon" didn't interest her at all) I can't help but think about the life that has become my new normal. As a person who LOVES to sleep... I'm talking I've been grounded from taking naps... I never thought I could survive waking up numerous times to give a bottle to a baby. And let me tell you, nothing in this world can make you as sleepy as an infant, drifting into a slumber, while drinking a bottle. I literally have to tell myself not to fall asleep. 

My new normal consists of white noise instead of my fan because I don't want her to be cold. It consists of washing bottles... All the parts (gas relief) all the time. My new normal had me sitting in the bath tub while my child was in her seat in the bathroom because Ben had to run to the store...

My new normal makes me sleepy a lot, makes me confused and worried most of the time, and sometimes it makes me frustrated, but, it makes me thankful ALL the time. My new normal lets me listen to my husband sing Rocky Top to our infant at 1:00 in the morning when she doesn't want to sleep. It lets me FaceTime with my parents every night because they love being Buggy and Teta to their grandchildren and they miss Mollie even though she's only 5 mins down the road. But most importantly, my new normal lets me get a glimpse of Heaven. Because only God could create something so beautifully and wonderfully made as my baby girl. And God will allow me to be frustrated and confused and worried throughout my new normal life and He will understand and not judge. He has given me the new name of "Mom," and there is no other thing in this world I would rather be. 

Praise the Lord. Praise the Lord, o my soul. I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. Psalm 1:46-1-2 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! So true and perfectly said! Thanks for sharing. She's absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete