Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wasting time...

Since starting back to work (all of 2 days ago) I seemed to be going through the motions and rushing my day away. Wake up, work, wish the clock away, come home, and then here's the kicker.. Instead of enjoying the time with MK that I have, I was rushing around my house trying to "get things done" and stressing because she wouldn't go to bed. I was rushing through her favorite things! Food, bath, playtime... I was stressed and tired and she was feeding off of that and fighting sleep until 10:30 or so at night! And it was killing me. Last night, I literally got on my knees next to her bed and prayed for patience. I begged God to give me patience and allow me to enjoy the hours of the work day that I have with my sweet baby girl. 

Today, I was determined to enjoy the afternoon. I was sleepy, yes, but I got on the bed (because we are obsessed with the bed) and played and talked with Mollie. I could tell she was sleepy so instead of letting her fall asleep in my room, I took her to her room and rocked. It took all of ten minutes and she was out for her afternoon nap. I can't tell you how long it's been since we rocked. She's a fighter and knows that rocking means sleep, so she used to not let me even start. I snuggled her closely and she totally ate it up. Win #1. 

I knew I didn't want her to sleep very long and luckily it was just a cat nap and she was up in about 35 minutes. Perfect timing for me to get a power nap as well. We played for about an hour, I fed her some baby food... (Lots of it)  and then it was bath time. Instead of rushing, I let her enjoy it. She loves splashing and I love watching her giggle when she kicks water everywhere. Next it was time bedtime lotion and that's when she started rubbing her eyes. I knew it was time. I grabbed a bottle and her blanket and went back to the rocking chair. She ate and rocked for about 20 mins and was fading quickly. It was so peaceful and I totally loved the snuggles. I wasn't stressed at all. I wasn't thinking about dinner or a messy house. I was enjoying quiet snuggles with my growing (much too quickly) girl. She wasn't sound asleep yet so I placed her in crib and held her hand until she drifted off. 

I know you're thinking, "Okay, great. So what? You put your child to bed... It's your job." If you would have been here last night, you would know how different it was. God doesn't just hand over patience or the qualities we ask for. He gives us chances to be patient and quietly watches what we do.  

I'm so thankful to have not only a baby that loves me unconditionally, but to serve a God that loves me unconditionally. Even when I'm lost and don't know what to do and I have to fall to my knees to ask for help. 

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.." Psalm 37:7


No comments:

Post a Comment