Friday, August 28, 2015

My 21 children...


Yes, you read it correctly.  21 children.  No, they aren’t all biological.  In fact, I just met 20 of them.  Only one shares my DNA.  But all of them are mine, at least for the majority of the day.  This was my first full week with all 20 kiddos.  20 four year olds.  All day.  And then I get to come home to snuggle with my anti snuggling, teething, cut out her 3rd nap, no sleep for mommy, 8.5 month old.  I have to be honest.  I feel more exhausted at this moment, than I did when Mollie was a newborn. 

I knew this week would be challenging.  Rules week always is.  One may think that rules week while pregnant would be tough.  This one seems a bit tougher.  Maybe it is because I have a child of my own when I come home.  Last year, I could take ALL of the naps.  This year, not so much. 

Don’t get me wrong.  I do love my job.  And I love these 20 children.  And the one that is actually mine… I love her more than I could ever explain.   That’s what is so hard.  They crack me up.  (Not when they are being crazy in the hall.) But when I get the chance to have a conversation with them.  They are hilarious.   Today, I was informed that one answers to being called baby (we tested it out), one has a dog named Teddy that eats poo, one is going to teach me how to swim better (I am a terrible swimmer), and one can pretend to be a zombie monster with some seriousness.  Like, his eyes went scary. 

This entire year for me is all about the word "patience."  It keeps replaying in my mind.  It is all over this blog that I started.  Patience with Mollie.  Patience with these 20 children that just entered my life.  Patience with the parents that may or may not trust me with their child.  Patience with time. 

Time... As far as school is concerned, I would love to fast forward to the end of September.  By the end of September, these kids will know the rules of the school like none other! But, if I fast forward time, then that means I would have a 9 month old.  And I am not ready for that.  9 months old is too close to a year.  I can’t have a one year old any time soon because she was born yesterday...right?

Patience.  Good thing God is in control of my life.  Lord knows I couldn't handle a day without Him.  There is probably a special reward for teachers up in Heaven, don't you think?  Just kidding...

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Ephesians 4:2

Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly. 

Aren't they cute with they sleep? 

No comments:

Post a Comment